The OANC is a community resource that is freely available for download and use for research and development, including commercial development.
We ask that you provide us with any of the following that may have resulted from your use of the OANC, which we will make freely available to the user community on this website:
- found errors or problems
- corrections/validations of any part of the OANC, including both text and annotations
- additional annotations in any format
- derived resources, including word lists, frequency lists, bigram lists, extracted entity lists, etc.
Download the Open ANC in the original XML format as a zip file. (326 MB)
Download the Open ANC in the original XML format as a self installing jar file. (316 MB) See below for installation instructions.
The OANC will unpack to approximately 4.8 GB.
Installation via the Jar file
The Java installers are executable jar files that can be used to install the Open ANC and the ANC Tool. On most operating systems you should be able double click on the .jar file. If that does not work, open a command prompt (Windows) shell (Linux), or terminal window (Max OS X) and run the command:
java -jar OANC-installer.jar
File dialog boxes in Java are implemented slightly differently on different platforms. For instance, the “Open File” dialog box in Mac OS X does not allow the user to create a directory from within the dialog. Therefore on Mac OS X, users must do one of the following:
- Create the installation directory before running the installer. In this case the installer will warn you that the directory already exists when you select it. It is ok to ignore this warning.
- Select the directory where you want the OANC directory created from within the installer, and then manually append the name of the directory to be created.
- Type the full path to the installation directory manually.